From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tibetan astrology (Tibetan: དཀར་རྩིས, Wylie: dkar rtsis) is a traditional discipline of the Tibetan peoples that has dialogued with both Chinese astrology and Indian astrology. Tibetan astrology is one of the 'Ten Sciences' (Wylie: rig-pa'i gnas bcu; Sanskrit: daśavidyā) in the enumeration honoured by this cultural tradition.
 Year-signsThe Year-signs cycle in an archetypal progression or continuüm:
 Tibetan calendar
|Gregorian year||Tibetan year||Losar*||element and animal|
|2000||2127||February 5 – February 7||iron dragon (male)|
|2001||2128||January 24 – January 26||iron snake (female)|
|2002||2129||February 12 – February 14||water horse (male)|
|2003||2130||February 1 – February 3||water sheep (female)|
|2004||2131||January 22 – January 24||wood monkey (male)|
|2005||2132||February 9 – February 11*||wood bird (female)|
|2006||2133||January 30 – February 1||fire dog (male)|
|2007||2134||February 18 – February 20||fire pig (female)|
|2008||2135||February 8 – February 10||earth rat (male)|
|2009||2136||January 27 – January 29||earth ox (female)|
|2010||2137||February 12 - February 14||iron tiger (male)|
- * Note: The start date of Losar depends on what time zone one is in. For example, in 2005, Losar started on February 8 in U.S. time zones and February 9 in Asia time zones. Some people began celebrating Losar on February 9 in the US.
 Vaiḍūrya dKar-po (White Beryl)The names of the chapters of the Vaiḍūrya dKar-po (the premier Tibetan text on astrological divination) are :
- 1. "Aspects of Turtle Divination"
- 2. "Hidden Points"
- 3. "Geomantic Aspects"
- 10. "The Thirty Computational Charts"
- 11. "The Thirteen Charts"
 See also
- Jyotisha (Indian astrology)
- Chinese astrology
- Tibetan calendar
- Culture of Tibet
- Tibetan people
- Tibet Autonomous Region
- Dudjom Rinpoche and Jikdrel Yeshe Dorje. The Nyingma School of Tibetan Buddhism: its Fundamentals and History. Two Volumes. 1991. Translated and edited by Gyurme Dorje with Matthew Kapstein. Wisdom Publications, Boston. ISBN 0-86171-087-8; Enumerations p.167
 Further reading
- Cornu, Philippe Tibetan Astrology. Shambhala, 1997. ISBN 1-57062-217-5.
- Desi Sangye Gyatso, Lochen Dharmasri and Gyurme Dorje White Beryl: Tibetan Elemental Divination Paintings. Eskenazi, 2001. ISBN 0-9539941-0-4
- Berzin, A. Tibetan Astrology and Astronomy. in Maitreya Magazine (Emst, Holland), vol. 11, no. 4 (1989).
- Berzin, A. Tibetan Astro Studies. in Chö-Yang, Year of Tibet Edition (Dharamsala, India), (1991).
- Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche Key for Consulting the Tibetan Calendar. Shang Shung Edizioni, 2003.
- བོད་གཞུང་སྨན་རྩི་ཁང་། Men-Tsi-Khang Institute of Medicine & Astrology of H.H. the Dalai Lama, Dharamsala India.
- Songtsen Tibetan Calendar with elemental combinations
- Tibetan Astro Sciences: Basic Principles - Dr. Alexander Berzin
- Digital Tibetan Buddhist Altar See the "Weekly Tibetan Astrology" feature and related background resources. Includes extensive information on yearly Tibetan astrology, inclusive of moving elements, spirits, parkha and mewa.